Who knew?! Fooducate, a great blog about food and healthy eating, listed 10 things you didn’t know about Potato Chips – including the fact that there’s a day dedicated to eating them. So dig into an extra crispy bag and wipe the BBQ shoot off your fingers, here’s a tasty little treat:
1. Potato Chips date back to 1853. An unhappy customer at a restaurant in Saratoga Springs, NY kept returning his fried potatoes to the chef, requesting they be prepared much thinner. The chef sliced them so thin that they could not be eaten with a fork. Thus was born the potato chip.
2. It wasn’t until the early 20th century that potato chips expanded from restaurant food and started selling in bags.
3. Flavored chips were born in the 1950’s by a small independent manufacturer who then sold the concept to the larger corporations.
4. As junk food goes, potato chips contain only 3 ingredients (potatoes, oil, salt) and are considered by some nutritionists the lesser of savory evils.
5. Potato chips sales are over $15B (!!!) a year worldwide. They tally up about one third of all savory snacks.
Click here for the next 5 (or have a nice day!)